This therapy was developed by Dominick Hussey, co-founder of Ottawa Holistic Wellness and Capital Osteopathy.
How is Functional Osteopathy different from other forms of Osteopathy?
Unlike other types of Osteopathy that treat your physical body, Functional Osteopathy is also concerned with healing your physiology and mind and how they may be affecting your symptoms.
What conditions can be helped by Functional Osteopathy?
Functional Osteopathy is excellent for helping:
- Chronic or longstanding physical conditions (including lower back, neck pain) that have not responded to other physical treatment including chiropractic, massage therapy, different types of osteopathy, and physiotherapy.
- Autoimmune diseases such as Celiac Disease, Crohns Disease, Hashimoto's Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Ulcerative Colitis.
- Functional Digestive issues including GERD, Heartburn, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- Behavioural issues including ADD, ADHD, and Hyperactivity.
How do Functional Osteopaths Work?
Functional Osteopaths work less with their hands than other Osteopathic practitioners.
They are trained to understand that if the body is displaying symptoms, then they must consider which physical, physiological and emotional factors are the root cause.
Functional Osteopathy is very much a partnership in healing and is more about the practitioner guides the client through a journey towards healing.
What happens during the first appointment?
The purpose of the first meeting is mainly to gather information. This process will include taking a full medical history and a physical examination. After the gathering process, the practitioner will advise you:
- What is the nature of your problem?
- What is the cause(s)?
- Whether functional osteopathy is an appropriate and safe treatment to help your problem.
If yes, your practitioner will advise any further investigations that are required including lab tests.
Treatment at this point will be limited to some general lifestyle modifications.
At the follow-up visit, your practitioner will give more extensive treatment advice, and if appropriate begin some hands-on osteopathic treatment.
How many follow-up treatments will I need?
On average you will need between 6 - 8 treatments.
How long are the appointments?
Initial appointments are 60 minutes, and follow-up appointments are 15-30 minutes long but maybe longer.
What should I wear in appointments?
We recommend that you bring a pair of shorts and a sports bra for each appointment.